Friday, June 22, 2012

Mongolian Motif Wedding Bands

I was recently asked by a friend if I would be willing to make a pair of rings inspired by the motifs and designs present in traditional Mongolian wedding bands, architectural elements and art.

I told him I would be glad to, and the picture below is one of the images he sent me for inspiration. Apparently this decorative wooden "pole" that in my opinion resembles a crutch is actually a large central support column used within traditional Mongolian homes called "gers".

Mongolian Tulguur, used as a central support column in traditional Mongolian homes called "gers".  
As my friend explained circles and diamonds are constantly present in Mongolian life, and it is easily understood when one examines their architecture. One can easily see the motifs of interlocking circles and squares in the colorful designs painted on the wooden supports that make up their homes.

The gers themselves are circular structures with interlocking square grids for the outer wall that resembles a trellis. If you would like to learn more about Mongolian gers, I recommend this web site that does a pretty great job of explaining what a "ger" is... Feel free to follow this link... "Click Here"...

Mongolian Motif Wedding Band Her´s, Daniel Icaza, 2012, Sterling Silver 
My friend continued to explain how these designs are even present on traditional wedding bands with interlocking diamonds represented on the female ring and interlocking circles on the male ring.

Mongolian Motif Wedding Band His, Daniel Icaza, 2012, Sterling Silver 
These are the interpretations I came up with. I am very happy with the results and feel that these rings are pretty cool and I would not mind keeping them for myself. Which is a rather satisfying feeling as commissioned work can often times be more than a little stressful.

Mongolian Motif Wedding Band His & Her´s, Daniel Icaza, 2012, Sterling Silver 
Although, as I have mentioned before, it can be nice to work under pressure as it adds an element of urgency which motivates me, not only to work on the project, but to create something special as well.

If any one would like to discuss an idea for a ring feel free to let me know: danicaza@gmail.com

I hope you enjoy these rings as much as I do.
I will be back with more to share soon,
Until next time.

Peace and Love

4 comments:

  1. They are really wonderful, Daniel. I love it when there is a meaning and thought behind jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jette! I agree it is always better when there is some meaning behind it ;o)

      Delete
  2. So awesome, and a badass blog post explaining them. Thank goodness my girlfriend never checks Facebook, too. I also finally got my piece on Mongolian gets published! Once the print edition comes out, I can send you the electronic proofs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet!! I am glad you like it. And Congratulations John, I will look forward to reading your piece when it comes out. Sounds pretty exciting!

      Delete